Sonntag, 8. Juni 2014

Dylan Thomas - Request to an Obliging Poet


Come, sing me a song of the succulent spring,
Of the balmy and beautiful season,
Come, chirp me a chant of the peewit on wing.
Or any fair fowl within reason,
Yes, lisp me a lyric of lielies and languor,
Of maids from Kidwelly and lasses from Bangor.

Come, pen me a poem of plentiful passion,
Of fairies and flowers and fauns,
Come scintillate sharply in Sitwellian fashion.
Of parrots and perches and peacocks on lawns,
Yes, soothe me with songs of the serpentine sea,
Of Naiads from Narberth and nymphs from Pwlldu.

Come, croon me a carol of sorrel and coral,
Of mermaids and numerous moons,
Come, prattle a prologue with motive and moral,
Of peaches and prisms and prunes,
Yes, warble away on Ophelia and Hamlet,
Of the gnomes from Llanllwch and the elves from Llansamlet.